Unwanted or junk mail is considered to be emails that you do not request or expect to receive, which are usually of an advertising nature, although they could also come from unknown users, with the risk that this implies. Then Spam filters can help you. And, the ease of sending emails in bulk at low cost is used both by companies that want to send their products, offers or promotions directly, as by cybercriminals, to distribute malicious campaigns by mail.
These are some of the examples that have circulated on the Internet:
Phishing: Phishing campaign detected supplanting Openbank
Malware: Infected invoices with malware through mail attack again
Advertising fraudulent websites: Detected fraud using the Samsung brand
Sextortion: Detected a scam through email extorting with alleged images of sexual content
Why you receive spam in the mailbox
You may wonder how you may receive spam emails constantly. Don’t worry. It has a simpler explanation of what you think. Read carefully:
- Unauthorized access by cybercriminals to servers, databases, or websites of companies and online services and subsequent filtering of user data, among which is the email.
- Sale of email addresses to third parties by web pages
How to configure anti Spam filters to not receive spam
One way to prevent your inbox from being flooded with junk mail is to establish active mail filtering using rules.
Check out the following parameters that can help you Spam filters:
- By email account domain, for example, * .ua or @example.comexample.com.
For a word or set of words in the content of the message or the subject body, such as credit, medicine, or easy money
- By mail sender
For containing attachments or having a size larger than a certain number of bytes, kilobytes or megabytes
- If the user is not included in the address book or is not classified as a secure sender
In addition to the rules you can configure, the best-known mail clients automatically filter the email addresses included in the spam blacklists using Spam filters.
Get to work
If, for example, you are a Gmail user, go to the Settings option and then click Spam filters and blocked addresses. From there, you can view the rules that are already created and the blocked email addresses, in addition to creating a new rule, deleting an existing one, or importing an already created filter.
Advantages of filtering spam using Spam filters
The advantages of mail filtering and the use of anti-spam software:
- Minimizes the reception of spam in the inbox
- Efficiently order mail from your mailbox as it will only show what you want to receive in the inbox.
- The risk of opening fraudulent or malicious emails drops
Finally, whether you decide to use anti Spam filters or not, it is recommended that:
- Never post your email address in forums, blogs, or web pages, so you will avoid anyone collecting your address when tracking a website. If, for any reason, you had to do it, publish it this way: username [space] at [space] domain [dot] com.
- Do not forward email chains or use mailing lists with the addresses of the recipients’ insight.
- Do not try to unsubscribe from spam as cybercriminals use it to detect if the account is active.
- Use an alternate email address to sign up for forums or blogs.
- When you register for a service, find out about the processing of your data.
- Never download attachments from unknown senders.
- Keep your operating system, the software and apps you use as well as the antivirus updated.
Reach out to us for IT Support Brisbane to get rid of Spams.